Eyes are absolutely priceless. I realized this all the more in past two weeks since my first eye related headache started. I went to the doctor without any delay and came to know I was having “dry eyes”. This happens when we overspend time in front of screens and don’t take enough breaks and do sufficient blinking. With current lifestyle, most of us fail to take proper care of eyes and take them for granted. As a result of a lot of research and consultations from doctor, I’ve compiled 6 simple eye care rituals to follow each day to keep your eyes healthy.
A few eye relaxation techniques after prolonged exposure to screen include:
1. Palming : Just place your palm gently on eyes. Don’t exert any pressure on eyes.
2.Close Your Eyes : Close your eyes and think about something good and happy.
3. Shut and Open : Tightly shut your eyes for 5 seconds. Open them for a couple of seconds. Repeat a few times.
4. Massaging : Close your eyes and gently move your fingers over them in circular motions. Do not exert any pressure and keep massaging by barely touching.
Our eye muscles need movement to remain flexible and healthy. But prolonged usage of mobile phones and laptops means eyes fixated on 12-15 inch far screen. Ciliary Muscles (of eyes) contract to focus at the nearby objects (screens) and are in an uncomfortable position. Looking at the distant point makes the eye lens stretched and thin so as to to minimize the focusing power of the eye. Resulting in the relaxation of ciliary muscles.
Here are a few eye exercises that will keep your ciliary muscles flexible. Sit in a comfortable and upright position. Keep head and neck straight and unmoved while doing these exercises. Also, after each of the exercises, take 20 seconds break by closing your eyes.
Eye care exercises to be done Regularly:
1. Rotate eyes in circular motions. You can do this 5 times in anticlockwise and clockwise direction each.
2. Look as much right as you can and then left. Repeat it 5 times.
3. Focus at a nearby object( 10-12 inch away) for 5 seconds and then at a distant point( as much as 15-20 feet) for next 5 seconds. Repeat this five times.
4. Move your neck sideways and up-down, and while you do it keep your eyes focused on a point straight ahead.
5. Blink at the rate of 2 blinks/second for 30 seconds.
Keeping Eyes Moist
Splash your eyes with cold water every once in a while. Dry eyes are more prone to infections.
Put a conscious effort on blinking while engaging on phones, computer or television. Blinking helps trap moisture in the eyes.
Eating healthy is the first step to ensuring good vision. Healthy eyes need to be nourished with Vitamin A, C, E, Beta Carotene, Fatty Acids, Zinc, Lutein, etc. Some of the foods which must be a part of your regular diet for proper eye care include:
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach, lettuce, kale, and broccoli, zucchini, corn, garden green peas & Brussels sprouts
- Oranges and other citrus fruits or juices, kiwi, red and green bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach, guava and grapefruit.
- Eggs, nuts, beans, and flax seeds; milk and other dairy products, whole grains, and
fortified breakfast cereals.
- Carrots, sweet potatoes.
Minimize Screen Time
After all exercises and relaxation will be helpful only up to a certain extent. Consciously cut down screen time esp. that spent on entertainment (social media, movies, TV series, texting, etc). Instead pick up some old school hobbies and have face time with friends.
Follow 20-20-20 rule while working on computer. After every 20 minutes, look at an object 20 feet away, for 20 seconds.
Block the UV Rays : Protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. Too much UV exposure increases your chances of cataracts and macular degeneration.
Protect eyes from air pollution : Wash Your eyes, rubbing is never an option and use sun glasses when outdoors.
Swimming pool borne infections : Wear goggles and rinse your eyes properly after swimming.
With the growing number of lifestyle related diseases, it is essential to take preventive and corrective measures and squeeze in healthy schedules into our every day lives. Consult a doctor promptly in case you notice any early symptoms. In fact, a regular check up will keep you attuned to the needs of your body. Our eyes are immensely precious and deserve our undivided attention and efforts every once in a while.
Disclaimer : Consult a specialist in case of any eye problems. These recommendations are only directional and should not be considered ultimate repository for eye care.